Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Screamer (i.e. skinny coffee creamer)

I like a little coffee with my creamer.  You know, diluted to the point that it looks more like a mug of milk than a cup of coffee.

Enter, guilt.  Using my store-bought coffee creamer, I could easy consume at least 200 calories in my morning cup o' joe.  Even just drinking one cup per day, I could go through a bottle within 2 weeks.  Gets hard on the pocket book too...that stuff is not cheap, but it is addictive.

So, I started looking for homemade coffee creamer recipes online.  However, while most of them did have better ingredients, I still wasn't finding something "skinny" enough for my cup of cream (I mean coffee).  This led to the invention of "Screamer," or skinny coffee creamer.

Let me hear you, "I scream, you scream, we all scream for coffee cream!"

Best of all, it's only 3 ingredients.  And they can all be kept for quite a while in the fridge or pantry.  Unlike my abysmal dismay when I opened the fridge in the morning only to remember that I meant to get some more creamer at Kroger yesterday, if I run out, I just pour the ingredients into a bottle, shake it up, and I'm ready to go.

Want to home-make it yourself?  Here's how!

- 14 oz fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 16 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can substitute with skim milk for only a few more calories)
- optional flavorings: seeds from 1/4 of a vanilla bean (my favorite...the flavor is amazing, and a little goes a long way), vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar-free coffee syrups, cocoa powder, etc.

Pour it all into whatever container you want and shake it up.  It keeps in the fridge for about 2 weeks.  Give it a good shake each morning before you indulge to redistribute all the goodness!

These are the proportions I use for mine.  If you want it a little thicker, just use a little less milk.  Using the above recipe, my creamer is only about 35 calories/oz (the store stuff was double that).  Yes!!!

Screamer.  Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment